In our new “Community Corner” blog series, I’ll be giving monthly updates on the Bi-Rite Family’s work to build community through food and service. I hope that by sharing these, you’ll have a better idea of what our mission of “Creating Community Through Food” means to us and hopefully be inspired to get more actively involved in your community.
- We’re partnering with the Southeast Food Access (SEFA) Food Guardians to increase access to healthy food in their neighborhood by teaching corner stores in Bayview-Hunter’s Point how to procure and merchandise fresh produce. With the help of the Food Guardians, we’re working with store owners who want to purchase equipment and learn more about sourcing, culling, rotating and merchandising fresh fruit before the start of the school year. Shout out to our produce buyer/farmer Simon for his energy and guidance!
- We provided 3 weeks’ worth of fresh, seasonal produce to Bay Area Girls Rock Camp, a local non-profit dedicated to empowering girls through music, creativity and collaboration. Shout out to Maria on our produce team for her awesome volunteer work as a BAGRC camp counselor!
Get Involved with Organizations we Support:
- La Cocina needs volunteers for the San Francisco Street Food Festival. Click here to find out how you can help the event organizers and small businesses in need; I’ll be there with Anne and Kris from the Creamery (along with salted caramel ice cream and fruit popsicles) on Saturday, August 18th!
- MEDIATE Art Group is looking for a volunteer event photographer for their exhibitions and Soundwave Festival. Build up your portfolio and email email@example.com to learn more about this cool opportunity.
- Mission Graduates is looking for a few good mentors for two of their K-5 After-School programs, starting August 20th. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign to up. Our lovely cashier Makda is a graduate of this awesome program!
- We coordinated a donation for the “Right to Know” Campaign, a group of advocates working to get the California Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act passed in the November 2012 CA election. Stay tuned for our next steps about getting support behind this important legislation!