Who can resist an end-of-the-year listicle? Not us! We are incredibly grateful for our guests, staff, producers, and neighbors in 2015. Here are 5 reasons we thank you for your support of Bi-Rite and our Family of Businesses this year:
- You ensured a happier holiday for those in need. From Jedi light sabers, to jazzy paint sets, and Winne-the-Pooh books, the 2015 Bi-Rite Holiday Toy Drive supported 485 low-income and homeless familiesin San Francisco this December. Your generosity didn’t stop there. For our annual Holiday Food Box Giveaway with Collective Impact and Kaiser Permanente, our Divisadero neighbors received 1,200 lbs. of free, organic produce (e.g. fresh greens, potatoes, onions, carrots, cranberries, and satsumas, courtesy of some of our favorite farmers), recipes, and a free-range turkey! In total, nearly 1,000 residents of low-income housing developments had a happier, healthier holiday table.
- You made our monthly Divisadero Scoop Shop Campaign a sweet cause. We’re super grateful for all the ice cream eaters in our ‘hood. At the end of December, our Scoop Shop donations totaled $13,509 to 11 SF-based non-profit organizations. Through this program in 2015, you supported under-served LGBT youth, the beautification of San Francisco with new trees, and getting necessary care to domestic violence survivors, to name a few.
- You provided good, fair food (and opportunity) for all. Your support allowed us to double the purchasing power of low-income shoppers at farmers’ markets and provide extra income for family farmers through our EBT Farmers’ Market Match program. With increased cash incentives from Bi-Rite, the Mission Community Market and the Heart of the City/Civic Center Farmers’ Market saw an increase in produce purchases by CalFresh customers and farmer sales. Your purchases also helped us train 5 corner-store owners in East and West Oakland to source, merchandise and sell healthier options in food deserts, via our Healthy Retail Program with HOPE Collaborative.
- You supported a more vibrant, healthy San Francisco: From breakfast at SF Bike to Work Day to produce games at Sunday Streets, to harvest days at Mission High School, we believe that supporting our community goes beyond our four walls. In 2015, over 400 schools and non-profits received in-kind donations from Bi-Rite. Given our rapidly changing city, it is imperative that we all give. We could not support our San Francisco community without YOU.
- You’re creating a stronger, sustainable good food movement. Your grocery basket empowers hundreds of farmers, cheesemongers, ranchers, winemakers and producers to feed us delicious, responsible, good food. Thank you for voting with your fork and dollar.
We look forward to continuing this good food work with you in 2016!
Warm Wishes for a Happy New Year!