A few of our guests have asked for the recipe for our Black Rice and Tofu Salad with Ginger-Lemongrass Dressing, so without further ado, here it is! Let me know how it turns out when you make it at home, and if you have any good modifications.
2 cups black rice
3 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 oz medium firm to firm block of tofu, sliced 1/2″ thick
vegetable oil for shallow pan frying
soy sauce to taste
1 cup edamame beans (cooked if fresh or thawed if frozen)
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
2 cups pea shoots (pea shoot season is now over so I would suggest substituting spinach or blanched green beans cut on a long bias)
For the ginger-lemongrass dressing:
2 inch knob of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
3 stalks of lemongrass, bottom five inches roughly chopped (you can discard the top portion or save for stock/soup/curry)
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup sesame oil
3 tablespoons honey
2 cups neutral vegetable oil such as grapeseed oil
1. Bring rice, water, and salt to a boil then turn flame down to a simmer and cook for about 35 minutes or until nearly all the water has been absorbed. Fluff after 10 minutes and let cool until warm.
2. Meanwhile prepare the rest of the ingredients: heat a large shallow frying pan over medium high heat with a good layer of vegetable oil ( just enough to prevent the tofu from sticking to the pan but be sure that the pan is hot enough before the tofu touches it otherwise the tofu will stick) until almost smoking.
3. Carefully add your tofu in one layer on the pan. You can do this in several batches if the tofu doesn’t all fit at once. Cook until the tofu is a deep golden brown on one side, about 8 minutes, then flip over and repeat. When the second side is golden brown, drizzle in 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and cook until it has caramelized. Remove from heat and let cool until you can cut it without it tearing it apart. Repeat with the remaining tofu. Cut into 1/2″ cubes.
4. For the dressing, place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until garlic, lemongrass and ginger are no longer chunky.
5. Combine in a large bowl the cooked black rice, cubed tofu, edamame, scallions and leafy green vegetable or green beans. Dress to your taste with the ginger-lemongrass dressing.