Comté, Gouda, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Manchego, and Feta are European mainstays that have become easy to overlook with all the cheeses flooding our aisles. Here at Bi-Rite, we’re on a mission to bring you the highest standards of cheese that have been traditionally crafted, properly matured, and hand selected for export. We partner with Essex Street Cheese, an importer and wholesaler based in New York that’s focused on only the best tasting cheeses. During the months of January and February, the Bi-Rite Cheese Department is celebrating our very special relationship with Essex Street Cheese, join us and start your year off with some of the world’s best cheeses!
- Marcel Petite Essex Street Comté – The flagship of the Essex Street selections, these wheels are hand selected from the famed caves at Fort Saint Antoine. A great everyday cheese that’s buttery and creamy with notes of hazelnut.
- L’Amuse Signature Gouda – The best aged Dutch gouda we can source, these wheels are expertly matured at Fromagerie L’Amuse – Amsterdam’s finest cheese shop. The texture is creamy and the flavors are robust. The deep sweet and savory notes are perfectly enjoyed with full bodied red wines!
- Cravero San Pietro Parmigiano-Reggiano – These wheels are sourced from one of Italy’s finest Parmigiano makers and matured to perfection by the Cravero Family in Bra. It’s the perfect table cheese- succulent and slightly sweet. After tasting Cravero, you’ll agree that Parmigiano is ‘The King of Cheeses’.
- Manchego 1605 – A unique example of the Spanish classic, these wheels are crafted with raw milk and have a natural rind. The pros at Essex select batches that are buttery, slightly earthy, and have hints of warm spice. A real treat with a few slices of Jamon Serrano and glass of Rioja.
- Essex Feta Lesbos – The most recent addition to the Essex Street selections, this is not your typical feta. Handcrafted by a family on the Greek island of Lesbos, its texture and flavor are far more complex than most examples of feta that are just crumbly and salty. One of our favorite additions to the Market during 2016!
Essex Street not only in the business of great tasting cheese, they are also committed to professionally educating American cheese mongers. The firm was founded by the late Daphne Zepos, one of America’s most beloved & missed cheese advocates. In honor of Daphne, her friends and colleagues founded the Daphne Zepos Teaching Award, a yearly grant to a budding cheese professional to study in Europe and return to educate cheese mongers. Bi-Rite is a proud sponsor of the DZTA, having donated $20,000 and counting to the fund over the past few years.