Updates on our work to build community through food and service last month
Highlights: December was all about depth with key community partners:
- In our first 18th St. Holiday Joy Drive, we collected 172 toys in four days! This means 172 families will had a happier holiday courtesy of Arriba Juntos, our guests and amazing staff. You all rock!
- We helped Community Partners United feed 250 families living in housing projects in the Western Addition. With Matt, Simon, and Chili’s help, we provided 250 free range turkeys, 500 bunches of cooking greens, and over 1,100 lbs. of fresh produce – cranberries, sweet potatoes, onions, carrots and satsumas!
- Through proceeds of our EAT GOOD FOOD book sales, we were able to provide Nextcourse and Community Alliance for Family Farmers (CAFF) with a donation of $8,750 each.
- The Creamery spread some holiday sweetness by donating 900 sugar and gingerbread cookies to St. Anthony’s Foundation, A Women’s Place shelter and SF General Hospital.
- We’re becoming a shareholder in People’s Community Market, making sound investment in the nutritional, social and economic needs of the West Oakland community.
- We continued our yearly holiday giving by supporting the organizations our staff cares about including, LYRIC, Homeless Prenatal Program, Mission Preparatory School, Compass Family Services, Mission Community Market, SF SPCA and 18Reasons!
Get Involved with Organizations We Support:
- Love digging in the dirt? Garden for the Environment needs volunteers for their demonstration urban garden every Wednesday and Saturday. Just show up ready to work – call (415) 731-5627 for more info.
- Project Open Hand needs over 100 volunteers every single day to help provide 2,500 nutritious meals and 400 bags of groceries to the needy. Fight the post-holiday slump and sign up for an orientation: (415) 447-2313.
Know of great volunteer opportunities? Spending some quality time at a worthy local organization that could use Bi-Rite’s support? Let Shakirah know!
Who we donated to in December (43 organizations):
Alameda County Food Bank
Animal Care and Control
Children’s Book Project
Community Alliance with Family Farmers
Community Partners United (c/o SF Parks Alliance)
Community United Against Violence (CUAV)
Compass Family Services
Curry Senior Center
Garden for the Environment
Health at Home – SFDPH
Homeless Prenatal Program
Larkin Street Youth Services
Margaret Jenkins Dance Company
Mercy Housing CA
Mission Community Market (c/o SF Parks Alliance)
Mission Preparatory School
National Kidney Foundation
Our Family Coalition
People’s Community Market
Project Open Hand
San Francisco Living Wage Coalition
San Francisco Rock Project
Sauvie Island Center
SF Parks Alliance – Urban Sprouts
Slow Food USA
Southeast Mission Geriatric Services
The Daphne Zepos Teaching Award\American Cheese Education Foundation
Three Squares/Cooking Matters