Updates on our work to build community through food and service last month.
January was all about starting the New Year off right with our community partners:
- Ben from our produce team is teaching youth wait staff and chefs of Old Skool Café how to grow amazing produce at their community garden in the Bayview. Join the Carrotmob Campaign to help Ben send his mentees to college!
- We sponsored the 2013 Good Food Awards and hosted a prize-filled 18 Reasons booth educating people about Good Food criteria at the GFA Marketplace. Look for Good Food Awards winners and finalists around the Market.
- We’re helping YUM Chefs provide 9 free cooking classes to low-income girls in the Mission.
- We sponsored and attended the 2013 EcoFarm Conference, allowing us to connect in person with farmers, produce distributors, retailers, and farm policy makers from around the country.
- We co-sponsored a free screening and wine reception of Soul Food Junkies at the SF Public Library. Come to our free screening at 18Reasons on February 25th
- We held 3 job info sessions in the Western Addition to spread the word about positions we’re hiring for at Bi-Rite Divisadero!
- 18 Reasons is working with NextCourse to teach Mission High youth professional and life readiness skills; we’ll be placing youth in culinary internships to gain real work experience.
- We supported Urban Tilth’s MLK Jr. Day Celebration with a donation that fed 300 volunteers.
- SEFA Food Guardians, who we’ve worked with to provide produce merchandise training, launched a ‘grand reopening’ of a Bayview corner store, complete with new produce racks, increased fruit and vegetable offerings and a new produce manager, Azmi.
- Want to make a kid’s day? Register for Girls Night Out or Boys Night Out at the Boys and Girls Club of San Francisco’s Columbia Park Clubhouse (around the corner!): http://www.kidsclub.org/event/gno-bno/
Know of great volunteer opportunities? Spending some quality time at a worthy local organization that could use Bi-Rite’s support? Let me know!
Who we donated to in January (27 different organizations!):
Pacific Primary School
Mission High PTSA
Glaucoma Research Foundation
Voice of Witness
One Fifty Parker Avenue School
San Francisco Botanical Garden Society
Nihonmachi Little Friends (NLF)
Independent Television Service (ITVS)
SF Dept. of Public Health – Child Health and Disability Prevention Program
Performing Arts Workshop
Harvey Milk Photo Center
Pacific Chamber Symphony
Ecological Farming Association
Seedling Projects/Good Food Awards
San Francisco Organizing Project
Wind in the Willows
Quiet Lightning + 826 Valencia
Sanchez Elementary School
Alamo Square Neighborhood Association
Culinary Careers BGCSF/ 18Reasons
Mission Preparatory School