Updates on our work to build community through food and service.
Highlights: February and March saw a serious uptick in our giving and community outreach (makes sense—we’re now serving two neighborhoods!):
- We opened on Divis , saying thank you to our new neighborhood and supporters with a pre-opening party before we opened our doors.
- We co-founded the first –ever San Francisco Food and Farm Film Fest in March, bringing delicious food pairings and sold-out shows to the Roxie Theater, plus a rockin’ opening night party at Four Barrel Coffee!
- For the 3rd year in a row, we hosted youth from SF Mayor’s Youth Employment and Education Program (MYEEP) program interested in retail and culinary careers.
- Our budding chefs from the Boys and Girls Club of San Francisco demonstrated excellent teamwork in planning, cooking, and serving their first “Soup for Supper” event at 18Reasons. Please support them on April 24th at 6pm!
- We supported the Women’s Building for Women’s History Month, providing necessary funds for their immigrant food pantry, community resource room and job-readiness classes.
- Our NextCourse/Mission High youth are putting their professional and life readiness skills to the test with internships at CUESA, Dandelion Chocolate and Bi-Rite
- We provided healthy snacks to the 2nd Annual Slow Food San Francisco Childhood Obesity Conference, bringing together public health advocates around this pressing issue.
- We supported the annual fundraising spring auctions of over 75 local schools.
We provided a free screening of “Soul Food Junkies”, tasty vegan bites, and a thoughtful discussion with chef and food justice activist, Bryant Terry.
We set up a weekly food donation pick-up with Free the Need at our 18th Street store to reduce food waste.
- We supported the WIGG Party’s efforts to raise funds for the St. Cyprian’s Community Kitchen.
- We supported DISH SF’s greening project at Mission and 18th. Volunteers planted new trees for the Star Hotel, which houses over 50 formerly homeless, disabled adults.
Get Involved with Organizations We Support:
Are you of the literary mind and want to tutor some amazing, young writers? 826 Valencia needs you! Volunteer here.
We’ve donated to 100 different organizations in the past two months! Know of great volunteer opportunities? Spending some quality time at a worthy local organization that could use Bi-Rite’s support? Let Shakirah know!